The FDA has issued warnings in the past – the latest advisory came out just a few days ago.
According to the FDA,
In the last 12 months, FDA has seen an increase in the number of complaints it received of dog illnesses associated with consumption of chicken jerky products imported from China. These complaints have been reported to FDA by dog owners and veterinarians.
The FDA specifically warns dog lovers to watch for the following:
FDA is advising consumers who choose to feed their dogs chicken jerky products to watch their dogs closely for any or all of the following signs that may occur within hours to days of feeding the products: decreased appetite; decreased activity; vomiting; diarrhea, sometimes with blood; increased water consumption and/or increased urination. If the dog shows any of these signs, stop feeding the chicken jerky product. Owners should consult their veterinarian if signs are severe or persist for more than 24 hours. Blood tests may indicate kidney failure (increased urea nitrogen and creatinine). Urine tests may indicate Fanconi syndrome (increased glucose). Although most dogs appear to recover, some reports to the FDA have involved dogs that have died.
Source: Beware Of Chicken Treats From China http://www.examiner.com/dogs-in-national/beware-of-chicken-treats-from-china?CID=examiner_alerts_article
- Our Dogs are dying because we are buying food from CHINA! (movingtoruralamerica.wordpress.com)
- Chicken Jerky Treats Linked to Illnesses in Dogs (abcnews.go.com)
- FDA Still Baffled Why Pet Treats from China are Poisoning Dogs…Again (poisonedpets.com)
- U.S. dogs die from chicken jerky treats from China (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- Chicken jerky tied to mystery illnesses in dogs (vitals.msnbc.msn.com)
- Jerky treats for dogs suspected in canine illness (barkaroundtown.wordpress.com)
- Nasty Treats from China Associated with Severe Illness in Dogs – Again (molliemorrissette.wordpress.com)